Sunday, September 12, 2010

Going Back in Time

Peter Whittmer Farm.
On Wednesday morning, Sep 8, 2010, Don and I were heading back to Palmyra, but missed a turn and ended up being close to the Peter Whittmer Farm. We decided to start our day there. It was perfect, because we walked into the Visitor’s Center and had the place to ourselves. We enjoyed seeing the parallel organizational picture charts of the Gospel- in the Ancient Day, Early Church days, and current organization.
As we moved around the room, we came across some drawings of the early Saints as the Church was organized. I caught my breath and had to sit down as I saw the drawings that were done for the first Ensign. It came out in 1971, but the artist needed models to pose for the drawings, and had arranged for our student married ward to pose for those pictures. I had missed the activity, but Bob had gone. He was selected to pose as Oliver Cowdery. I cried as I looked at those drawings, looking so much like the man I knew and loved back then. I remembered how stalwart he had been - how willing to serve and to do all he was asked. He didn’t seem to doubt the church in those days. He was serving as a Stake Clerk and rubbed shoulders with some great leaders, including Paul Cheesman, a Book of Mormon archealogy scholar and Religious professor who taught the High Council and Stake Presidency a series of lessons on the Book of Mormon. That was amazing.
I thought of all the leadership positions Bob had had over the years and how faithfully he had served. Even in his last position, President Howard (then Bishop) whom Bob served under as his 1st Counselor, had said that Bob was so hard-working and obedient. He had kept the organizations under him staffed because he moved so quickly on getting approval for the names of teachers, etc. and then calling them to positions. Pres. Howard hadn’t even known Bob when he was inspired to call him as his counselor. Bob did very well, but realized that the old questions he had had now and then about the gospel were plaguing him, and he could no longer put his heart into his position, and had asked to be released. With that began the demise of Bob’s activity in the church, and with it, our marriage.
I received, while thinking through that history, a testimony that I really was supposed to marry Bob and that he really was ordained to be the father of our children. They have many of his fine qualities, and deserved to be part of his family. I don’t regret those years and those memories. In fact, I celebrate them. They are precious to me and part of who I am and who my children are today.

No comments: